The St. Elisabeths Institute was founded in 1885 by pastor Wilhelmus van Lent. Johannes Heijkants from Erp was the architect. The land was acquired by the bishop Jacobus Cuijten, who was born in Nuenen. In 1887, Sisters of the Congregation of JMJ moved into the monastery. The first seven sisters founded a kindergarten, primary education for girls and care for the sick and the elderly. The right part was built in 1937 as a nursing home and maternity clinic. In 1972 the municipality of Nuenen c.a. bought the complex and this building, after adaptation, became a cultural centre with a theatre hall and many club rooms. The former chapel now serves as a municipal council hall.